Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Stations of the crowds- I mean, cross

On Saturday of Easter weekend, most of the day I worked, honestly. I had the morning off so I just did a little work on my homework and on my novella. (I have had crazy writing motivation since I got here. I can't explain why, but it's working, so I'm not going to question it.)

Then in the evening we went to the Stations of the Cross at the Colosseum. The pope officiates, it's all very important and Catholic. I guess the Stations of the Cross is this thing where there are twelve stations and they each show a moment of the crucifixion of Jesus- Jesus being sentenced to death, Jesus falling while carrying the cross, that sort of thing. And at each station, a prayer is said and usually something is read reflecting on the station.

So we get there early- first of all, the main area, there are two guys checking bags and a MASSIVE crowd. So we get squished and fight our way up to the front, where we…realize that this is just another crowd and you can't even get out. So we decide no, we're starving, we'll just eat and stand somewhere else.

We go to this really strange place for aperitivo- the food was great, but the service was lacking. So we eat there, then go to find a better place up on this hill. We finally find one where we can sort of see.

But…there's nothing to see. The pope is far away, there's nothing to look at, the audio was terrible and in Italian, so we couldn't understand anything.


See the red tent thing? The pope is under that. You see what I mean.

After the seventh station we call it a day and go home. Tomorrow is Easter anyway, which means we have to get up super early to get a good spot.