Monday, April 6, 2015

Spring break: Day 10: Rome again, rome again

Today was my last day in Paris and my last day with Garance. Tears. My plane left in the afternoon so we decided to go inside the Museum of Evolution near her house for the morning. We were both under the minimum age, so we got in free, which was neat.

The museum was mostly stuffed animals. We spent about half our time nodding thoughtfully and actually learning. The other half was spent giving the animals weird voices and laughing about it like idiots.





They had a room for endangered and extinct animals


We also passed by one of the biggest mosques in Paris.


Now, here's a fun fact: The French are less worried about time than we are. They don't like to be rushed. And my plane boarded at 3:20, so when I told her parents that, they said we'd leave at two. Okay, I thought, we must be pretty close. (For comparison, when I left to board for Paris, I got to the airport three hours early. I don't like to play chances when it comes to something this important.)

So we left at two, and we're driving down. Garance and I were dozing in the car a little. At one point I noticed that it was nearly 2:40. That was kind of alarming, but whatever, I was gonna be cool about it, then I'd hurry through security.

We get to the airport and I'm expecting to basically jump out of the car, but they park it and come in with me. And I'm like, this is nice, but why? Then they ask me to have coffee with them before I go. "You have time, no need to rush!" It's 2:50, and I don't want to be rude. My boarding closes at 3:30. This is fine, I think. Just quick coffee.

Well, they keep taking their sweet time, and soon it's 3:10. I've been checking my phone every few minutes and finally I can't take it and I basically jump up and say I need to go. They still don't seem to see the problem but they shrug and walk me to the checkpoint. I thank everyone and wave goodbye to Garance, bust through security as fast as I can, and get to my gate at 3:18.

Of course, because France, my boarding is then delayed for another half hour. So I just sort of give up and go get a few macarons from a cafe and nibble on them vindictively as I wait.

My plane makes it just fine, I take the train back to Rome, and I'm home again. France was really nice, and I really did love Paris. I love the art there. And it was amazing getting to meet Garance in person for once. But I missed Rome. Bonjour, Paris, ciao, Roma.