Friday, March 6, 2015

Buses are even less glamorous than you think; also Pisa

Last weekend I embarked on my Tuscany trip! Leaving the apartment at 6am wasn't very fun, but once I settled on the bus I read for about ten minutes then fell asleep. After roughly two and a half hours we stopped at a rest stop, which Italy takes very seriously. I got a cappuccino and a pastry there. I'm quickly becoming hooked on cappuccinos, which out of all the Italian vices, is probably the best one I could have picked. At least I'm not smoking like most of the students here. Italians smoke a lot.

We arrived in Pisa and took a quick walking tour. The thing about Pisa is that it's a lot smaller than Rome (obviously) and all of their monuments- like, four of them- are in one area, then it's all town around it.

Naturally, I found the tower, and took the obligatory tourist photo.




The other monuments were mostly churches, and then we wandered a bit and found the house that Galeleo grew up in, which was really cool.





We also got to see a college- Pisa has two colleges, basically. One super crazy elite one that only takes the top of the top and it only has like four departments and they only take I think five students in each department a year and it's super competitive. The other is buildings scattered all over the city and it's where everyone else goes. However, the unemployment rate in Pisa is crazy high so if you get into the super competitive school you're pretty much guaranteed a job.

Pisa was sort of uneventful. We saw the big monuments, got some pizza, wandered around for a bit, and then got back on the bus. Honestly, I wish we had only an hour or two here and then more time in Florence.

We got to our hotel in a smallish town near Florence. I ended up rooming with some people I didn't know, but they were very nice. A bunch of us went out to find something to do- we were thinking a bar somewhere- but this town was small and apparently super catholic, so after walking around for 45 minutes, we conceded defeat and went back to gave a glass of wine at the hotel bar.

After a disappointing dinner, some people hung around the lobby, but I went up to shower and go to bed. I was exhausted, and we had an early morning tomorrow.