Monday, May 11, 2015

The last day

Is it really done? It feels like only a few days ago I just started. I know the guy at the downstairs grocery by name. I know that I buy a falafel weekly from the dude at my favorite shop. I know how I can get where I need to, I know my favorite churches, I know how to haggle in Italian.

Is it really time to go?

Exams, I did well. I studied, I stressed, they happened, but the grades hardly seem to matter when I have to bid goodbye to this eternal city.

I think I was strange because everyone else says they got homesick a month or two in and want to go home. And- well, mostly I miss peanut butter and breakfast food, but also...I could stay here forever. Everyone else wants to go back, and I would like to see my family, but. I could stay here forever. I really could.

It's the last day. How do I handle that?


Well, first by an epic last meal

This was described as pasta with "beef jowls". Yes, jowls. Don't look too far into it- it was delicious.


After that, we all got a second course. I chose a "fried zucchini flower", purely because it sounded strange. It wasn't something I'd have again, but I was glad I had it.


And then- GELATO

I tried the flor de creme flavor that my Paris friend suggested, as well as my favorite dark chocolate. A fitting goodbye to this lovely city.

Tomorrow I disembark. EARLY tomorrow. Very early. A cab will come. I know I should feel more happy than I am to see home but mostly- I just want to dig my hands in the land and refuse to go.