Tuesday, January 27, 2015

First (well, second) day of school

I love this campus. Everything is so pretty. It's really small, with only five buildings, and even those are a bit scattered. All of my classes are in building B, which is where most of the classes are held. Most of mine are on the fourth floor, so...more stairs, yay. Our library is so gorgeous, I want to live there.

Today the tram was too crowded to ride so my roommates and I power walked the mile here, including the six flights of stairs and the uphill climb. And yes, the stairs. I dropped into my seat sweating and panting with about two minutes to go before class started. Good first impression.

I still haven't had two of my classes (I'm on a four hour break before I do), but I don't mind the waiting between. There's always somewhere to sit and do work (or socialize. Mostly socialize). Right now I'm in the garden, under an orange tree, and the view is gorgeous. The classes I've had seem pretty good. One seems like it's going to be really tough, but it will at least be interesting. And every class I've had is so small! My screenwriting class is ten people.

Everything in this school is kind of small compared to my home university, but that's sort of nice. Rome is so BIG and so old and has so, so much going on, that it can really get kind of overwhelming. Having a student body of 100 is nice because you at least see familiar faces, and your professors really want to know you by name. And it's hard to get lost!

I can't get over how nice it is to sit in the sun and eat an apple between classes. Back in Michigan, everything is probably freezing cold and covered in snow right now. Meanwhile, I'm adding sunscreen to a list of things I have to try to find next time I go shopping.