Thursday, January 29, 2015

Classes in Rome

The thing about classes here is that there's not a lot, so a wide variety of people are in them. At home, we have a ton of blocks of communications, so you know that the other people in your com class are exactly your level.

But here, my Principles of Marketing class has some people who for sure have more experience with marketing and are taking this class for additional marketing credits. So the teacher was going over some stuff, laughing like "but you all know this, right?" and everyone is like "yeah, of course!" and I'm just in the corner like

What are you people talking about this sounds like gibberish to me

Luckily one of my roommates just finished a marketing class, and the other is a food marketing major, so they can help me when I'm totally and completely lost like right now

That class is going to be so hard, I already know. But my other classes seem ok. Italian is so frustrating to me! I've studied Spanish for four years and I'm semi-fluent and every time I open my mouth to speak Italian, Spanish comes out. Everything is so similar which you think about make it easier, but just makes me speak this strange combination of Italian-Spanish-English.

My screenwriting class seems really daunting. The professor told me that as a creative writer, I'm going to basically have to unlearn everything and start again, if I want to write a good screenplay. (which has never been something I wanted to do, really, but I can try something new.)

My mafia studies class has probably been my favorite so far. I really like history, and this is a really cool class to learn it in. We're also gonna watch a bunch of mafia movies, so I'm excited for it.

So, uh, I guess this semester looks pretty good. I'm...hesitantly optimistic, I guess. There's for sure a few classes I'd drop if I was back home, but this is Rome, so I'm going to just roll with it, and see if they can't surprise me.