Friday, February 20, 2015

Czech me out

(I'm writing this on mobile, since I didn't bring my laptop with me, and I don't know how this will work, so the pictures might end up sideways and at the end. You're smart people, I'm sure you'll figure them out)

Today I went to Prague, in the Czech Republic! But before I go into that, I have other news. I officially booked my tickets for spring break! I have a friend who lives in France, and when she learned I was studying abroad in Europe, we decided that I should come visit. So for spring break I'm going to stay with her for a week, and I'm really super excited about it.

Anyway, awhile ago, three of my roommates and I booked tickets to Prague. I honestly wasn't thinking about it when I first came here, but I decided travel, why not? I'm so glad I did! This place is so beautiful.

The flight was two hours, and the view was spectacular.
However, once we got to our hostel, things started to go wrong. They told us there was something wrong with our room, and they'd found a new place for us, and the guy for it would be there in ten minutes. We were really upset because we'd specially picked the hostel for location, and we were worried they were gonna send us far away.

Then this guy showed up WAY more than ten minutes later, and said he was gonna take us to the new place. But he kept calling it "my place" and "my apartment" and we were like "...is this guy gonna kidnap us?"

Then we came up to this door that was half covered by plywood and I thought "yeah, we're gonna end up in this guy's basement"

But it turned out to be a legit hostel. And by legit hostel, I mean "it's a room with beds", which is really all we need.

After all this, we were starving, so we went to this place around the corner. It had a section of the menu devoted to traditional Czech foods, so I decided to order off that. I saw goulash, and I thought hey! My grandma makes goulash! I love it. It's a delightful marriage of noodles, ground beef, and sauce. I am in!
 
Well, it wasn't quite that. It was actually chunks of beef in a sea of sauce, with onions, yeasty bread, and something I think are dumplings? But my travel policy is "eat it anyway". (Which has served me well. In America, I can't stand olives, but in Italy?) And the combination of MEAT AND BREAD that the Czech seems to favor was very filling. I even got some Czech beer. And it's true- beer here is just as cheap, if not cheaper, than water. And it is good.

Afterward we just walked around Prague. It's so weird to be out of Italy. And the language... when you don't know Italian, you don't know what's happening, but you can pick some things out. In Prague, the language is not based in Latin and everything is long and has a million "k"s and "y"s in it.

After a long time of walking around, we got haggen-daas (apparently the Czech Republic is not as big on desserts as italy, where you can't go ten feet without tripping over a bakery or a gelateria) and then we stopped at a pub for a beer.

Now it's nearly eleven, we've got a full day planned, and I'm bloody exhausted. I'm going to go to bed. Tomorrow I'll try to take some pictures of the hostel.